Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Helpers

I used to live in Boston, not all that long ago. 2 years ago Boston was home. When I heard about the bombing at the marathon yesterday my thoughts immediately went to those I know and love there. My father, several friends, and many former university classmates. All are safe and sound to my great relief!

In the face of senseless tragedy I think of this quote from Mr. Rogers,

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”


― Fred Rogers

It gives me perspective in talking to my children about tragedy, and for me too it is a reminder that humanity overall is good, very good. I need a reminder of that because my gut reaction is to want to hide away in the woods and shelter my children from the craziness out in this world. But we can't hide, and I won't always be able to shelter my boys ( right now I can filter, but someday I will no longer be able to do that).

So I talk to them about the goodness in others, the helpers who don't hesitate a moment.

We know a helper in Boston. A dear friend of our is a PT at one of Boston's largest hospitals. Yesterday and today she has likely seen tragedy and injury she never expected to see. In the coming days and weeks she will be helping some of the victims heal and rehabilitate.

I want her to know that I'm proud of her, the person she is, and the work she does. If I were injured she is the person I would want by my side. She exudes warmth, love, and a positive attitude.

So I'm dedicating this post to her, because when I talked to my children about helpers last night I talked about her and we all felt better knowing some of the injured were going to have her there to help them.

Thank you dear friend for giving all of us hope in goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment