Thursday, November 29, 2012

Little Boy Love

I don't usually choose to rant in this space but I feel compelled to just a bit today.

Anyone who has been pregnant can attest to the fact that people just love to talk about that belly, whether it is family, friends, co-workers, or random strangers at the grocery store.

This is my third baby so I'm used to that by now, and it really doesn't bother me. I usually smile and answer the typical questions; " When are you due?", " Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" , " Is this your first?".

The answers are; January 9th, yes it's a boy, no it's not it's my third- to which the response is always " Oh do you have boys or girls at home?". Boys, this is my third boy.

Up to this point the conversation is fine, but then once people hear this is my third little boy the comments start to roll. About how I must have been disappointed, I must have been trying for a girl, or maybe I'll have better luck next time. What!!!!????

I can't stand this assumption that every mother just wishes and wishes for a girl. All I was hoping for was a healthy baby, and according the the ultrasounds I've had that is just what I am having. I have never for a moment felt the least bit "unlucky" for having my two sons or that I'm expecting another one.....on the contrary I feel extremely lucky to be mom to two fabulous little boys and I can't wait to add a third to the mix. I don't need a daughter to feel complete, and I'm tired of people assuming I do.

I don't know if I would hear the same type of comments if I was expecting my third girl, maybe I would but I somehow think not as much. Either way I'm just tired of my children's gender being thought of as lucky or not.

I'd say getting to be mom to these two little boys makes me the luckiest woman on the planet!




I can't wait to meet their little brother and feel even luckier!

No comments:

Post a Comment