Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Holiday preparations

It's that time of year again.....my favorite time! I really do love winter; the snow, the sweaters, the cold air, and Christmas just makes it that much more enjoyable. I grew up not celebrating holidays due to my family's (now defunct) religious beliefs, so being able to participate in and share the holidays with my family is extra special to me. Even though they are new traditions for me it feels like they were always there hiding under the surface. I love the lights, the music, the food, and all that goes into preparing. Thanksgiving seems to be a good time to kick off all the preparations.

This year my goal is to do all handmade gifts for my loved ones. As usual I'm starting late but I think with some quick knits I will attain my goal. Of course I also have to devote some of that knitting time to baby knits. I can hardly believe we are at the 7 weeks and counting point of this little ones arrival.

This morning the boys and I finished our grocery shopping for Thanksgiving and for the next 3 weeks. I've come to the realization I really could use a chest freezer!

Our Thanksgiving is small this year, usually we would all be sitting around the long table at my mom and step-dad's house but being so close to the end of this pregnancy I've decided doing that much flying and driving is just not in the cards. So it will just be the four of us this year. I'm keeping it simple and yummy; turkey, cranberry-orange relish, green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, and acorn squash. Oh and of course pumpkin pie!

Friday the weather is supposed to take a cold turn and stay that way over the weekend. I'm looking forward to snuggle time, turkey stew, putting up the Christmas tree, and then on Sunday going to our new town's old fashioned Christmas celebration for the parade and tree lighting!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and please enjoy the weekend with your most loved of loved ones!



First finished baby knit: newborn vertebrae, and mittens for Ivan.







We began the holiday baking by surprising Daddy with the Swedish Spritz cookies his grandma used to bake. The boys loved using the cookie press.



I had to make this pumpkin bread, and who could resist the forest animal gingerbread cookie cutters?


No comments:

Post a Comment